Sunday 24 August 2008

What happened to blogging about blueberry pie?


Did I say that? I did? Well, maybe I did ... but I got sidetracked by ... life. You know. Stuff happening at work. A good book (The Last Colony by John Scalzi). A very brief camping trip that wasn't really much fun due to the heat. The arrival of my September course packages from AU. And the blueberry pie? Well ........... I DID, however, document the MAKING of pie, and will now share that adventure with you. Better late than never, right?

STEP #1: Make your pie crust. A cranky ol' Yugoslav lady (who make incredible pastry) once told me the secret was FULL FAT YOGURT instead of milk or water and in addition to cold unsalted butter. I've been making pie crust her way ever since. It works!STEP #2: Mix a cup of sugar and about 1/4 cup cornstarch with your blueberries. WHAT? Those don't look like blueberries? You're right (and very observant). This documentary is of the last pie of the day. The all-blueberry ones were already baked, and cooling for the freezer by this point, but I had enough pastry left to make one more pie. I was short on blueberries, however, so threw in the last of the fresh cherries and about two cups of fresh raspberries from my landlady's garden (sshhh ... don't tell her!). It was the end of a marathon baking day, and a berry is a berry is a berry ... right?STEP #3: Spread your sweetened berry (berries) mix into your bottom pie pastry. Dot generously with butter. I prefer unsalted butter. Some people can't tell the difference.STEP #4: cover with your top pie pastry, pinch the moistened edges together, and cut some steam vents. I'm partial to tree-like steam vents, but any ol' design will do the trick.

STEP #5: Bake for about 55 minutes, and remember to take it out of the oven when the kitchen dinger says 55 minutes is up (I didn't ... oops!) Despite being a bit "browner" than expected, my official kitchen bovine taste tester declared it smelled delicious enough to eat ...

... but seriously nekkid-looking without a good big scoop of vanilla ice cream. I was pretty sure I had part of a carton of vanilla ice cream in the freezer ...

HEY! Who ate that piece of pie while my back was turned?????? While I was in the blueberry pie frame of mind (and trying to use up a whole big flat of ripe blueberries), I also made SWEET CORN AND BLUEBERRY CORN BREAD ... found that recipe in the August 2008 Canadian Living magazine.

STEP #1: Cook a couple of extra ears of sweet corn when you're doing corn on the cob ... enough to cut off 1 cup of kernels.

STEP #2: Mix together 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal, 1 cup flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.



STEP #3: Blenderize (or process in your food processor ... I don't have one of those) your cup of cooked corn kernels, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 cup buttermilk, and 2 eggs. Oh, and 1/2 cup butter. Don't puree ... leave it somewhat lumpy and chunky.STEP #4: Pour your blenderized mixture into your dry mixture and stir until just combined.STEP #5: Fold in 1 1/4 cups of blueberries. Mmmm mmmm! Look at those yummy fat delicious blueberries! Good thing I've got me a half dozen bags of those babies in the freezer to enjoy over the winter!STEP #6: Spread into a buttered baking pan.

STEP #7: Bake at 350 degrees about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean when stuck into the middle of it. Yes, this is my oven ... combination toaster / broiler / convection oven. Don't laugh! Me and my goldfish do not require a huge regular oven ... and this little appliance makes life much easier. First, it's ON my kitchen counter so I don't have to bend down to get things into it and out of it. Second, it's much easier to clean.
STEP #8: Sprinkle with powdered sugar after it has cooled a bit. Yes, I sprinkled powdered sugar with my fingers ... the last time I saw my sifter, Little Madam C. was chasing her baby brother with it (and he was screaming about the gobbledy noises it made!)
Once again, my official kitchen bovine taste tester declared my SWEET CORN AND BLUEBERRY CORN BREAD smelled positively divine ... and it was, especially reheated in my handy-dandy little oven for breakfast!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You never told me about the corn bread. L.

Anonymous said...

I alawys wondered why that cow was on your kitchen chair! {o)

Anonymous said...

Gonna share your complete cranky pastry recipe? Or just keep us in suspense?? See you in 8 days!