Saturday 18 July 2009

Rainy day wall art

I was invited to participate in a golf "thing" today, but I woke up feeling a bit out of sorts and didn't go. Golf is NOT one of my favourite activities. The walk around the golf course is fine, but chasing that stupid little ball is totally ridiculous and a complete waste of time and energy ... the only GREATER waste of time and energy and sanity is watching another person or persons chase a stupid little ball. I just couldn't imagine me being polite about that today.





I was sitting out on my balcony quietly watching my flowers grow ...
... which they all seem to be doing quite nicely ... but the wind drove me indoors. We've got SEVERE THUNDERSTORM warnings here for this afternoon.





What's a girl to do when it's a blah rainy Saturday afternoon and you're stuck indoors and realize you can't possibly look at your unadorned beige wall ONE MOMENT LONGER? Create wall art of course! Hard to get a good shot of all three pieces, but here they are on the wall:
I had three 8 inch x 10 inch prepared canvases ... the cheap variety from the local dollar store ... which I painted RED and then added a dark and brooding SPLAT in the middle that reminded me of the approaching thunderstorm. That was the easy part. While that was drying, I dug into one of my craft bins for STUFF to incorporate. Here's what I came up with ...
... turquoise buttons with a bit of turquoise hemp cord to anchor down scraps of red jute, and ...
... red glass beads strung on pieces of knotted red hemp cord, and ...
... alphabet stickers in different fonts to spell out QUIET and HOME and REST. I rather like the discord between the soothing words and the unsettled colours. Oh, and I decided the turquoise buttons needed more turquoise, so blobbed on dots of turquoise paint.




What do you think?





Doesn't really matter 'cuz at $1.oo each plus a few buttons and beads I can throw them out when I get tired of them!





How's YOUR Saturday going? Any thunderstorms where you are???

5 comments:

Banana_Grl said...

I think they look pretty cool ... very creative!

slj said...

Very nice. I wish I had the creative gene...lol..I have some art supplies..even a small canvas. Maybe I need to just go for it.lol
Have a great week.
Sheri

Anonymous said...

Golfing is fun you missed a good day. Good dinner drinks after too. L.

Anonymous said...

I like the pictures. Make me some blue ones? {oP

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Well, it's Wednesday (sorry I'm late...) and it IS thunderstorming here now! I am sooooo impressed with your wall art. I love them! Wish I had half that creativity! C