Monday 26 October 2009

First serious snow


This past Saturday, I went to Quesnel for a Fabricland visit as we no longer have a Fabricland here. Only an hour and a half away. It was a great sunny morning, temperature hovering at zero, but nice dry roads going down. Only saw one moose, and it was munching in the trees well off the highway. Sorry, no pix of my Fabricland purchases ... you'll just have to take my word that I found some great Christmas (shh ... don't tell anyone ... you'll ruin my Perpetual Grinch Reputation!) prints, and some wonderful royal blue cotton with white Celtic knots all over it that I'll find SOMETHING fun to make with, plus a couple of print panels for placemats. One will become my "Fish 'N Chips" placemats as it has a British Bulldog on it. We were back home by 2:30 in the afternoon, and the roads were clean and dry all the way back as it was still sunny and about 6 degrees C.

Good thing we went on Saturday, 'cuz Sunday wasn't so sunny. I went downtown to work at my office for the afternoon, and about 2 pm, this is what I saw out our front window ...... yup. Pretty serious looking white stuff starting to come down. And there was me with ...
... NO BOOTS! Yes, I was in serious anti-fashionista mode ... grey stripes in my pants going vertical and brown stripes in my socks going horizontal. I'll spare y'all pix of my burgundy corduroy shirt! Go easy on me ... it was Sunday, and a wonder I wasn't downtown in my jammies as they are definately my favourite Sunday attire. It was a slippery slushy walk to the bus stop in order to get home.
The nearest city bus stop to my office is beside a small municipal park. Snow on the bushes in the park ...
... is quite pretty (although doesn't show up very clearly in this pix). However, snow on this young lad in the park ...
... really disturbs me! I know, I know ... he's a statue not the real lad. It's just that I look at the statue and REMEMBER the real lad, and my Mummy/Nana hormones fire, and I just want to wrap a warm cloak around him. To me, he'll always be the cheery one-legged youth who sat on the hospital ward floor and read comic books to a gaggle of children who were also battling cancer ... my son Robert included.
Directly across the street from this statue is this little soup and sandwich spot ...
... which boasts THE BEST SOUP IN TOWN. I think they deserve the title. Their soups are always amazing! I had corn chowder from there last Friday, and I couldn't have made it any tastier myself. The couple who runs LADLES are really nice. If you're ever in PG, I highly recommend a lunch hour stop here.
Now it's Monday, and the snow is gone again. Sometimes winter makes a couple of trial runs up here before it settles in for the duration. I think I'll take a pair of boots to the office tomorrow ... JUST IN CASE!

3 comments:

slj said...

Love the socks..lol..perfect Sunday attire..
I am not looking forward to the snow, but I have to admit, I do love the first snowfall of the season.
I can't wait to see what you do with your new materials..
Have a great week,
Hugs, Sheri

Anonymous said...

I saw you shoe shopping in the mall on sat. how come you didnt wear your new shoes? L.

Anonymous said...

I remember ladles! great sannies! we had some snow here too. its really cold. when are you sending my new mittens? {o/