Monday 6 March 2006

Did you watch the 'Oscars'?

I did! Naturally, I was rooting for my favourite movie of recent months, WALK THE LINE, and was absolutely thrilled when Reese Witherspoon won best actress in a leading role for her fabulous portrayal of June Carter Cash! I was touched by her acceptance speech when she told how June Carter used to say "I'm just trying to matter" when folks asked how she was, and that's what Reese was also trying to do. Nice. I would have been doubly thrilled had Joaquin Phoenix won best actor in a leading role for his incredible portrayal of Johnny Cash. However, to be fair, I have to admit I haven't seen the film Capote yet, so can't criticize Philip Seymour Hoffman's win in that category.

March of the Penguins took best documentary feature, and well deserved. Have you seen it? Great film narrated by Morgan Freeman. All penguins, no humans. I was also happy to see Brokeback Mountain take several awards (best director, best adapted screenplay, best original score). I haven't seen Crash yet, so I'll reserve judgment on whether Brokeback should have taken best picture or not for now. All in all, it was a good Awards evening ... no, wait! What the heck was that so-called best original song -- "It's Hard Out There for a Pimp" -- meant to accomplish??? Excuse me??? We're feeling sorry for pimps now???

Besides watching the Oscars, I worked on term papers (will it never end???) most of the weekend. It was nice to take a break Sunday evening to watch TV and work on my latest at-home knitting project (versus my take-along knitting project -- socks) -- a Kid Mohair Stole (I'll have to try and figure out how to post some pictures when its done 'cuz I'm really liking the looks of it). Okay, I just told y'all a slight wee lie, 'cuz I actually took a break Saturday night to go out to a movie. (I'm feeling a little like Ebert & his buddy doing all these movie reviews!) I tried to see Eight Below again, and it was sold out AGAIN! (Is it something really special, or what???) So I ended up going to see Bruce Willis in Sixteen Blocks. My advice? Save your money and watch it at home when it comes out on DVD -- its got a bit of action but not really much story line. Only redemptive feature: the sight of veteran cop Jack Mosely (Willis) with a hangover at the beginning of the show is pretty much enough to scare a person out of drinking again ever!

My goals for this week: finish one term paper and one sock. What does your week look like???


1 comment:

Banana_Grl said...

I finally get to watch Walk the Line this week and I am super excited! Definitely watch Crash if you get the opportunity, just don't forget the kleenex! Hugs ...