Wednesday 17 November 2010

Winter arrives

Winter made its first serious attempt last Saturday.  The roads and sidewalks looked like this ...



... slippery and sloppy to get around in as the temperature hovered right at the freezing mark.  It was very pretty later in the day as the sun disappeared and what had been water drips earlier solidified into ice.


Like rows of little diamonds.  My cheap little digital camera didn't do it justice!


Last Saturday happened to be one of those days when you officially get a year older.  I like to keep pretty quiet about the event, so took myself out for a glass of wine ...


... and some dinner at a local establishment.  It was Szhechuan-style chicken.  Very good.  I had a second glass of wine and read my book and felt quite happily relaxed after a stressful work week.  Just what I needed!

This morning, Miss Boots opted to climb into her "cozy cave" ...

... a fake-fur cube with a hole in one side ... after breakfast instead of bugging me to get out on the balcony where she usually spends some time telling off any passing dogs or wildlife.  Smart cat!  It looked like this when I left for the bus ...


... about 8:30 am with blowing snow and about 10 degrees below zero.  Minus 10 is not particularly uncomfortable ... okay, at least not for me ... I'd rather have cold than heat any day, and that's probably why I'm happy living up here in The North!  However, my feet (who totally prefer to spend their days nekkid) were not at all happy being confined in these ...

... knowing that they will probably be so confined until April or so next year!  My coworkers were all waiting to look at my feet this morning to see if I actually had boots on as I always push it with footwear wearing sandals well after frost and shoes well into winter.

Note to self:  those are really crappy looking boots ... quit being such a cheapskate and go buy yourself a dressier pair already!

With today's not-so-balmy temperatures I discovered something disturbing ...

The cable of my Denise Circular Knitting Needles WOULDN'T BEND!  As much as I like knitting while waiting for the bus and riding the bus, I was a little afraid to force it to bend for fear of snapping it in half.  Time to revert back to good old serviceable bamboo single-pointed knit needles!

Have a great day y'all ... stay warm!

3 comments:

Karen Deborah said...

I'm happy to see your back! No my shoulder has not healed yet it is going to be a long haul. I am very happy to have my daughter and the other grands here. I can't believe you already have snow!!!!

farmlady said...

Well, Happy Birthday to you. Hope you're not as old as me.
That wine looks good and the cat looks really cozy. The boots look like mine and the snow is lovely. We don't get much here. I wish I lived a little higher in the mountains.
Can't believe the circular needles wouldn't bend in the cold. Never thought that would be a problem. I'm just learning to knit. Love it.
You stay warm too....

slj said...

Happy Birthday!!!
I sure don't look forward to all of the white stuff...but I know it will be coming soon...
I think your boots are great:)
Stay warm,
Sheri